The following information is abstracted from fact sheets collected by the Alliance.
The Scope of The Problem
- One woman in four will sexually assaulted during her lifetime.
- 683,000 adult American women are forcibly raped each year. This equals 56,916 per month; 1,871 per day; 78 per hour; and 1.3 per minute.
- Only 16% of rapes are ever reported to the police.
- 61% of rapes occurred before the victims were eighteen years old. 29% occurred when the victims were younger than eleven.
Who Is Raped
- There is no such thing as a type of person that is more likely to get raped. Women and men of all ages, religions, class, cultures, beliefs or geographic locations can become a victim.
- 5% of adult rape victims are male.
- Sexual assault is reported by about 40% of women who are being physically assaulted by their husbands.
- 4% of all female soldiers said they had been the victim of a completed or attempted rape or sexual assault during their military service. 61% of female soldiers said they had been sexually harassed in the Army.
- 1 in 4 college women reported being victims of rape or attempted rape. 1 in 12 college men admitted to committing acts that met the legal definition of rape.
- One in four adolescent girls, and one in six adolescent boys, have been sexually or physically abused or forced to have sex against their will.
- 5% of rape victims were male. 7% of all American men will be sexually assaulted in their lifetime. At least half of these men are exclusively heterosexual.
- 64% of all rapes and sexual assaults were committed by offenders who were previously known to the victim. Nearly 6 out of 10 rapes occur at the victim’s home or the home of a friend, relative, or neighbor. about 4,000 rapes and sexual assault occur in public schools each year.
Attitudes Towards Sexual Assault
- 35% of college men indicated some likelihood that they would rape if they could be assured of not getting caught.
- A survey of 11-14 years olds found that
- 51% of boys and 41% of girls believe that a man has a right to force a woman to kiss him if he “spent a lot of money on her.”
- 32% of boys and girls say it is not improper for a man to rape a woman who has had past sexual experiences.
- 87% of boys and 79% of girls said rape is okay if a man and woman are married.
- 47% of all those surveyed said it was okay for a man to rape a woman he has been dating for more than 6 months.
The Cost of Rape
- The total costs of rape are estimated to be $127 billion a year in the United States, excluding the costs of child sexual abuse — about $508 per man, woman, or child per year. The cost for each sexual assault is $110,000.
- Nearly one-third of all rape victims develop Rape-related Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (RR-PTSD) sometime in their lifetimes, and more than 11% suffer from RR-PTSD at the present time. There are 1.5 million adult female rape victims who suffer from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder in the US.
- There are 32,000 rape-related pregnancies each year in the U.S.
A large collection of factsheets, frequently asked questions, and other resources for survivors and friends of survivors is available from The New York City Alliance Against Sexual Assault:
More information is also available from